The 695 thought pad

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

ME!

After responding rather passionately to Dave's oil debate post, I thought I should probably write something on here about what's up with me. I actually have news!! Today I had a job interview with the hospital in New Westminster for a pharmacy tech job for the summer and subsequent summers after that. The two interviewers left me with the impression that if I want it, it's mine. I am waiting, however, because I have an interview in two weeks with the hospital in Burnaby, which is about 7 blocks from my house and would be preferred, but we'll see. I've heard they may not be offering full-time and that's really what I'm looking for.

So that's my news! I'm breaking into new pharmacy terrain and I'm excited! The downside is, I will have to be available to work casually for the hospital, which mean I'm probably going to have to quit one of my Shoppers jobs :( This is a major dilemma for me because I become quite loyal to my employers (you may remember when I had to quit the part-time Save On Foods pharmacy for the full-time Shoppers in Nanaimo and I was quite conflicted about it). So we'll see. On the one hand, Shoppers at UBC is incredibly convenient for me since it's on campus and I can go right after class AND my boss there has just given me a HUGE raise. However, Shoppers at VGH opens a new door into clinical pharmacy where I might be able to do IV bag prep AND am going to be able to get involved with clinics (such as the upcoming Cholesterol clinic that I will be helping present). So I'm not sure which I would choose if it came down to it. But who knows, I might not have to choose at all - that's what I'm hoping for ;) The path of least resistence!

Anyway, that's all for now. I should be working on my methadone case for our pharmacy case-based learning. VERY interesting! Mother is 15 weeks pregnant, on methadone maintenance, wants to stop cold turkey because she thinks it will be better for the fetus, what should she do?? I'm learning a tonne about methadone therapy which is tres cool.

Anyhoo, back at it!

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger manda said...

if you start working at the hospital(s) won't you be getting clinical exposure and IV bag prep as well? I wouldn't worry about losing the Shoppers job if it means you're going to be in a hospital.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thank you ;) It just helps to hear it, you know? I get too loyal!!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger SophistiKat said...

I'm with Amanda, if the hospital job will give you the same opportunities as the VGH(?) Shoppers, than you might as well take that one. If you could keep the one at UBC, then do it - more money in a convenient spot. And here's hoping for the Barnaby job!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger SophistiKat said...

Or the Burnaby one... whichever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home