The 695 thought pad

Monday, January 29, 2007

Out from under my shell...

Man that was a cozy shell. It had a TV, a DVD player, iTunes, a car, the TTC, some books, and internet access. Alas, the shell was too small for all of that so I traded it in for a cookie.

So the last month or so has been pretty slow. I started a geography course that deals with climate change, specifically Global Warming. I was given Saudi Arabia to represent on all of the issues and we'll do be doing UN discussions in the next few weeks. The course entails discussion and three papers and NO exam. I didn't realize just how messed up this world is becoming and at what rate. So guys, turn off your lights, unplug things that aren't annoying to plug back in, walk, carpool, turn off the water while brushing your teeth, and don't cut down any trees. The discussion questions are pretty much all opinionated with the opportunity to throw in a few facts. That makes the course a little less interesting, but I think I'll get some good insight into the environment once it's over. Did I mention there's no final exam? 'Cause there's no final exam.

On the family/house side, we still don't have a tiled shower and instead have clear film covering the walls. Our skylights in the living room have started to leak. My room currently smells of incense. I really love incense now. It creates an atmosphere in my room so I can go into my own space to read and listen to music. I'm not a hippy yet, but I'm enjoying the slight change. I know it's stereotypical to listen to Floyd, Grateful Dead, et al while lighting incense, but this is the first time I've tried it and it's a cool sensation.

I went to see A Clockwork Orange on the big screen a few weeks ago. The largest screen I've watched it on was 34 inches. There is a marked difference between that and the big screen. I have never been so in awe of this movie as I was during that 2.2 hour span. I was slightly 'intoxicated' for the first half of the film, which made my senses a little more...aware of things. Regardless, I am aching to see it again and also to watch 2001 on the big screen.

Things with Jessica are as good and intense as they have ever been, especially because it's all long distance. I've seen her for two hours over the past 27 days. I don't care how much we keep in contact, that is a tough 27-2 hours to get through. I'm going to see her in Appointment With Death on the 17th with my sister and her hubbie, and then she'll be home for five days at the end of the month. We maximize our time together, but we always seem to be rushing things when do see each other, even over the two week winter break. We couldn't even organize New Years together, even though we were fine with that. I want to show her so many movies, but there's no time. We want to listen to so much music, but there's no time. ja;feija Basically, we're as amazing as we possibly can be, but it's trying at times. She's moving back in April and will live with her sister about fifteen minutes from my house. We're both counting down the days.

Right, enough of that. On to...............the weather.

I want more snow.

That is all.

I've gone to a few Leafs games over the past month. We've won two of them. I was in the back row of the upper bowl, but I made myself heard to everyone. Oh! I also walked to the corner store the other day to get a bag of chips, and I bought a bag of chips. They were good chips.

I saw a prostitute on the subway with someone two nights ago. I never typecast people, but she was with a guy who really would not normally be with someone like her...she was also asking him where he lived and what he did. I felt badly for the guy because he seemed pretty embarrassed to be with her. I've never really been exposed to that in all my years living in Toronto. I spent the entire day watching hockey and having some beers and good food and hanging out with friends, and those two did what they were doing...it was just a stark contrast to our lives and it made me both sad and glad to be me. One of those moments where things are put in perspective.

Speaking of perspective, I've started to take to writing things down. Writing anything I'm thinking down on paper. I did that a lot while working at the swim school and I'd put my thought directly into an envelope and mail them to Jessica. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel much of a release if they just stayed in a book under my bed. Also...I've started to see a psychiatrist to deal with things I deal with and she suggested I write things down, both positive and negative. I'm hoping things go well with her because the first guy I went to see immediately prescribed me tranquilizers and other pills that would have effectively ruined my personality and mojo. I canceled my next appointment with him the next day :)

I read Dan Brown's 'Digital Fortress' this month and was completely engulfed the entire time I read it. I also listened to The Wall every time I read so now I associate both with each other. Don't expect the most stellar writing, but expect to be jerked around a bit and to get involved with the characters. I've started reading 'Lifeguard' by James Patterson whose formula is to write very short, descriptive chapters, which makes it a real page-turner. It all takes place in one day and is already toying with my mind.

That's the most concise update of my life. I'm starting to get a little antsy and would like to have my own place soon, but I don't have the funds right now. There are no problems at home whatsoever, but I'd really like to have my own place and be 100% independent. That was just an aside.

Hmmm...if any of you are looking for ways to procrastinate, here are a few links for streamed TV shows:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/
http://www.alluc.org/alluc/
http://www.peekvid.com
http://quicksilverscreen.com/
http://alloftv.net/

Well, I know I've said this before, but you can add me back onto the list of contributers. I've realized the value of getting things out there instead of keeping my thoughts in my head for only me to enjoy. I'll read everyone else's updates and respond later.

Oh, everyone should download all of The Shins' albums as well as the new Incubus album.

Here's a pic of me and Jess :)



Dave

3 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Leafer said...

Thanks, 0324.

I would love to see your valuable info with you visit my blog.

Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

BEARD!!! :) It's good to have you back, babe. Again, I was thiiiiiis close to abandoning the blog! You saved me ;) I'm glad things are going well and that you're working your shit out. I'm always here if you need to talk. *hugs*

PS - this is the first pic I've seen of Jess -- CUTE :)

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Leafer said...

Beeeeeeard. The 'stache is starting to curl onto my top lip and it's getting slightly-to-really annoying. I'll go when I cut my hair, which should happen soon. I can't pull off the Sam Roberts look for that long. Plus, it feels like little fingers are pulling at the chin hairs when I go to bed. Oh, and food gets caught. It's all bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home