The 695 thought pad

Monday, October 24, 2005

Promise fulfilled

I can't believe those other posts worked. I swear they didn't when I tried. Oh, well, maybe you guys will find it amusing.

So, here I am for an update. Like I said before, not really much new has gone on. I had a packed week last week. Between taking care of the house, Kayla's birthday, two midterms, and a fall festival at work, I was pretty strung out by last night. What's beautiful is that I think I may actually be able to relax a bit this week. Maybe do some things that have been on the ToDo list for a long time. We'll see.

I finally got my hands on Batman Begins today. I went to buy it last Wednesday, when I was trying to kill time, but of the four places I went, none of them had the deluxe edition. Yeah, I figure if I'm going to buy it, I might as well get all the bells and whistles instead of just the movie. Is anyone else let down when you open a dvd case and it's just the disc in there. It seems like such a build up for a dinky little disc. I know it's what's on the disc that counts, but still (hmm, sounds like a metaphor). So, the regular version of the movie wasn't good enough for me, so I bought the deluxe. Besides, I deserve a treat after acing my two midterms. :)

I also bought the album put out by Institute. Question: do you know why I would buy a disc from this band, seeing as it doesn't fulfill my two-song rule for buying CDs? Answer: Institute is Gavin Rossdale's new band, so it is excempt from said rule and I'm required to buy it. I listened to it on the way home from school. I'm reserving my verdict until I am able to listen to it a few more times, but I'm worried. I don't have high hopes, but I still have some hope that they can console me over the loss of my beloved Bush, but I have this nagging feeling that my giant has fallen... that the star has faded... I will leave this topic now.

Since it's almost November and I'm almost done with school, I figure it's about time I start thinking about what I'm going to do with myself after graduation. As much as I would love to return to the southern Ontario area immediately, there is too much of the world left to see, so I've been looking into the Student Conservation Association (SCA). It's an organization for students (duh!) that provides intern/work experience in the conservation field. You get a meager stipend for internships, but it's really the experience and opportunity I'm after. There's stuff all over the country (US, that is), so I have a lot of options. Nothing's finalized, but I'm actually pretty excited about the idea. There's this position in Oregon for a field researcher for IDing sea lions, etc. and birds on the Columbia river that I'm interested in. Then there's another one at Fire Island in NY. Oh, and turtle research along the NC, SC, or GA coast. Anyway, that's one route that I'm looking into.


I've been meaning to post this picture for some time. That's a baby milk snake that I hatched at work. One of the adult milk snakes that we kept at the nature center over the summer laid eggs, so I buried them in some mulch and kept them on a heat rock and made sure it stayed moist for about a month and a half. I didn't really expect them to survive, since no one has really had much success with hatching reptiles at the center. But when the due date came around, I checked under the mulch and saw a little head peaking back at me. Only one survived of the 9 or so that were laid, but that's one more than I hoped for. She's now, hopefully, hibernating somewhere in the park. Isn't she cute?

It's getting cold here. No snow, but lots of rain. It's time to go curl up under a blanket with some soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. I'll check in with you folks later.

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Nice snake, Mommy! That's so exciting that one made it! That's not bad considering your aforementioned statement that not much luck is had hatching reptiles there :) Congrats! As for the internship, do it up! That's a good entrance into the field and a major resume booster. Keep us posted :) And congrats on the midterms ;)

And sorry to say this, but I think Gavin really fell through on naming the band... "Institute": sounds like a whiney,wuss punk, middle class emo band name. Cliche, is all. But let us know if they grow on you. It's not about the band name, but the music right? (I mean Beatles, with an A?? WTF??)

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home