The 695 thought pad

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Guelph, it may not be...

but I have to admit that I'm rather pleased with how school is going here at home. Indiana University Southeast (IUS) is not what you would call a prestigeous school, but it does okay. It is very accomodating for those who are not financially well off, or in the best situation to go moving to a new town (re: married and/or with kids). Around here, it's kinda like if you can't go to IU or Purdue, you go to IUS. People kinda look down upon it as a less academic school. I'll admit I did the same, but what I'm finding out is that I was off base. Okay, so it doesn't have the reputation or ranking, but from the past 4 weeks of class, I have no hesitation that these classes rank with any I've taken from Guelph. And the profs are no slouches. In fact, I had no idea I would find art history so interesting and the prof is fantastic and I really am enjoying my animal behavior discussions with my prof and fellow student. I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to take animal behavior at Guelph, because I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. The mineralogy is pretty cool, too, maybe moving a bit slower than expected, but it has provided me with a great confidence booster, since I got the highest mark in the class on our first quiz. Yeah, so there are only 15 students, but this hasn't happened since high school (well, maybe one of those quizzes in Devo...), so I'm happy. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out if there really is a difference, but evidence to date shows no significant difference. So, Guelph it is not, but it isn't all that bad after all.

Speaking of UoG, do the biologists in the house know what prof there did some of the first work on antimicrobialism and honey? This isn't trivia, I actually want to know, 'cause my animal behavior classmate wants to know for some research. Yeah, he could look it up, and for that matter so could I, but I appreciate him asking about my roots and I'm lazy, so help me out here if you can. Thanks!

In other, not so interesting news, my Dad has decided he likes organic bananas better than regular farmed bananas. This may not seem like a big deal, but for my Dad to admit this is huge. He's one of those guys who doesn't like any sort of trendy, gourmet or new type deal in food. It may taste exactly the same, but he'll be adament that it's different and no good. So, with the whole fad of organic taking hold, he's been very skeptical about it. But at last, he has admitted that he thinks the organic bananas taste better. I'm pleased and hoping that this change may continue with other foods, since I (surprise!) lean towards the organic side.

Not much else for now. Missing you all! Much love!

-kcf

2 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Leafer said...

I can tell you for sure 4man that you would not have enjoyed Animal Behaviour on any level at Guelph! Several reasons:
(a) The prof did not come to a point anywhere in a lecture except in the last 5 minutes of class when you thought your arm was going to fall off because he was saying so many relevant factoids.
(b) The grading was totally subjective - never good.
(c) The prof was full of himself
and
(d) The prof (Noakes) was a dick. That is all.

P.S. F-off to all the spammers!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger manda said...

That shit is bananas! B A N A N A S!! Maybe I should try some organic food... organic asparagus maybe?! Just think of the stink you could pee with organic asparagus!!

The prof you're looking for is probably Dr. Peter Kevan, I think he's the only real bee guy at U of G.

glad you're enjoying school, let me tell you I wish I was back in school. Working full time is for suckas! I like my job, but working full time really isn't that much fun.

miss you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home