The 695 thought pad

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Maybe Maine?


Well, I've officially entered myself into the real world. Yesterday, I sent in an application for a summer job in Maine. It's with an Audubon Society group called Project Puffin as an "education assistant." Basically, it means I'd be the onboard naturalist for public boat tours of the small coastal islands where the birds breed. I'd also get to take part in a bit of the research process. I'm really excited about the idea of it, plus it sounds like a pretty sweet deal: they provide room and board, a weekly stipend, worker's comp, plus milage reimbursement while I'm there. They stressed the fact that whoever gets the job can't be prone to seasickness, which I never have been, but I've only had a few opportunities to test that. But other than that, I think it's perfect for me. It's scheduled for June-Aug this year, so it may not be the best choice as far as making a living is concerned, but it certainly will look good on my resume and allow me the opportunity to experience a new place. Plus, it's close to Canada, though not as close to southern Ontario as I would like. But, here's hoping.

I'm done with my fire class. Sort of. I did all the things I needed to, except for the pack test - the one that involves walking 3 miles with 45 pounds on your back in 45 minutes or less. I tried it, but came in at 46 and some change. Talk about disappointment. But at the time, I was more than happy to be done, no matter how long it took me. I'm telling you, it was worse than anything we did in TKD, even running laps. Although the soreness the next day wasn't as bad as that from TKD. Anyway, I'm planning on trying again later. I figure I've already done all I need to for my certification, why not just get it. Even if I don't plan on fighting fires.

That's the other thing. On the first day of class, it hit me that after this training, I would be a firefighter. A real, daggum firefighter (of wildland fires, that is). I don't know why I hadn't thought of it that way before, but I didn't. I went into it thinking I was just going to learn how people fight fires, not that I was going to be one of those people. I think it hit me when they showed us the video of how to try and save yourself if you can't outrun the fire. That was an eyeopener, to say the least. So, anyway, I enjoyed the class and got to know the folks at the refuge better, so overall it was a good experience, even if I never use it.

So, it's almost time for me to be in Guelph. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! I haven't had any more heart attack-inducing events regarding graduation (knock, knock), so that's good. Here's how the itinerary looks: arrive in the G-spot Mon night, kick around Tues/Wed, graduate Thurs morning and stay there again that night, head to Ottawa Fri and kick around there Sat, leave Sun for St. Cat's, kick around there Mon and head stateside that evening, and after that maybe Cleveland, maybe Pennsylvania, we don't really have it figured out after that. But that should help you out. Dave-I will plan on calling your cell on Wed. Amanda and Sue- I'll get ahold of you within the next few days. And I'll see you three in the next week.

Speaking of Canada, several article about the Great White North have appeared in the Louisville paper recently, such as this one:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/FEATURES02/602100308&SearchID=73235859136209

I have to say that it's the one "chocolate bar" that I have smuggled into the states. I just thought I'd share.

Well, that's about all for now. Back to watching the Olympics.

3 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger manda said...

:D :D :D I didn't know you didn't have coffee crisp! What a damn dirty shame!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I did not even know the Olympics were on. Can you believe that?? I mean, how out of the loop can you be! The crappy Nanaimo local papers haven't mentioned it, we don't get TV and the radio stations are so bad out here that I listen to CDs instead. OUT OF THE LOOP! When people were talking about the opening ceremonies I honestly thought they meant the Special Olympics, which I had heard were coming up... Oy vey ... ;)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, and go for the job, 4man! It sounds AMAZING! I also suggest looking in BC *winks*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home