The 695 thought pad

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Dark Side of Oz


I experienced the coolest and eeriest thing last night at The Bookshelf: Dark Side of the Moon synched up with The Wizard of Oz. For those who don't know, when played from track one a few seconds into the movie credits, DSOTM syncs with Oz. Some examples: when Dorothy is balancing on the fence the lyrics read 'balanced on a wave' (or something like that), then the music immediately speeds up when she falls off the fence; during Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Dorothy looks at the sky from left to right and the music switches between speakers, following her perfectly; when the Lion has a shit-fit and then continues to walk on the Yellow Brick Road with the Tin Man, et al, the lyrics read, 'the lunatic is on the path'. That's only the beginning. There are dozens of things...the dancing and footsteps match up with the drum beat, etc. The album has to be looped two-and-a-quarter times and the movie ends when the music goes silent through the second or third track during the third playing. Another theory says to play DSOTM followed by Wish You Were Here (Floyd's next album) and then the two make up the entire movie. Creepy, eh? I was pretty wrecked while watching the movie so everything was obvioulsy much funnier, but when the movie first started this guy behind us yelled 'I'M ON DRUGS!!' and everyone cracked up. There was also a very long line for snacks right before the movie started, so I doubt I was the only one!

Link to a good Dark Side of Oz site:
http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/dsotr.htm

I went to Aggie Pub after the movie to meet up with my housemates because I promised them I'd go at least once. It was sort of tollerable, although I really didn't want to be there. There was a decent mix of country and, well, good music and the combination of drinks and highness made the night better. I know I had a conversation about tennis with a girl because she everheard me talking about tennis balls. The conversation lasted about three minutes then I had nothing else to say so we went our own ways. Smooth, Dave.

This weekend was supposed to be a really fun 'getting to know more Jews' weekend, but I've caught a bug that all of my housemates had and I had to cancel. I even had my sister bring up my suit from Toronto to wear to Shul, and now I just have a suit and no purpose to wear it until College Royal. By the way, ironing a dress shit is really difficult! I kept making more creases! Can't someone create a shirt that doesn't wrinkle?

That's about all the energy I have for now.

Dave

4 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger manda said...

hahahhaa ironing a dress shit! wow, that must be messy!!!!


and I am so jealous about the DSOTM thing, who comes up with that shit?!?! that's crazy. We shoudl def. figure it out and do it sometime.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Leafer said...

The website I posted has instructions of how to sync the two. You can also download versions by searching 'dark side of oz' or 'dark side of the rainbow'. I downloaded a version, but it was only 43 minutes long...so they only played the album once and then it ended. Still looks really cool.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I can't believe I haven't seen it yet! And I love how much you're getting into Floyd, Dave. If you like rock, you really have to appreciate how f'in cool they are. Oh, and by the way, they do make shirts that don't wrinkle. Maybe something to think about the next time you're dress shirt shopping ;)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Leafer said...

I am totally mesmerized by Floyd. It's just perfect music which puts a lot of the other crap to shame. It makes those bands like extra smelly crap. I still haven't read the lyrics to the albums I own, but for now just the sound of the music takes me farrrrr away.

This site has a good breakdown of the movie (although it was fun to be surprised by everything the first time through): http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/DSotR/DSotRList.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home