The 695 thought pad

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Inspiration!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh... Finally, I have some inpiration to post on the blog. What a relief it was to check it for the upteenth time and actually see an update! And not one, but two (well, technically 3, but really 2)! Thanks so much for the uplift!

Well, let's see, what can I tell you about that's new and exciting with me? The boat cruises are going along well. Typical work now, some days I love 'em, some days I hate 'em. But all the while I still feel really lucky to have that as my job. I feel the same way about the Center, but also more anxious about it 'cause there's a lot that I would change, but I don't really have that power. What I have come to find out is that I know more about running a visitor/nature center than I realized. And although I'm not sure if I want that responsibility right now, I can definitely see myself doing it in the future. It's amazing what a change in place and people can do for you.

What else have I been up to? I've joined a women's competitive rowing team. The other women are mostly all older than me and business owners/workers in Rockland, so I feel a bit out of place, but I think I'll fall in well enough in time. The rowing is like if you took a rowboat and combined it with a sculling boat. It's fun and makes me feel like a viking! It's also nice to be involved in a sporty activity again. I'm missing TKD, even the tiredness, aches, and pains of it. Anyway, they are talking about having us compete against another team over Labor Day. I'm not sure about how well we could do. It's pretty tough and makes me realize how out of shape I have gotten. A racing start of 10 fast, 10 medium, and 10 long strokes totally drained me. But that may change in a month.

For those of you who may not know yet, I will be staying in Maine thru October. I'm happy that I will have more time in Maine, especially as what was initially agreed upon is quickly dwindling, and since I'll only be working in the Visitor Center, I will hopefully have more of a weekend to explore the state. As of right now, I really only have 1 day off a week, but some of the days that I do the boat I can take short trips around the region, but not really get all that far away. So, I'm looking forward to getting up into the state and camping or something. The other side of it is that it may be a lonely existance while I'm here in the fall. All the other interns will be done and gone and most of the other supervisors will be going back to NY. So, I'll have to find new ways to fill the hours. I guess it'll give me time to figure out what I want to do afterwards. Luckily it sounds like I will have some visitors in the fall, including my parents who are planning to come after Labor Day and stay for a week or two. I'm so ready to share this beautiful place with loved ones! Cliched, but true.

So, that about covers me for now. I have today off, and I'm planning on doing some sightseeing in some little villages before I head to rowing practice in Rockland. Thanks again for the inspiration to post and keep coming back. I really miss all of you. And remember to check my photos.

Au revoir!

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Professional rowing!! That's FABULOUS :) Good for you, 4man. I know what you mean about getting out and doing things and then feeling better... I spend even a couple days in doing squat and I feel like a pile of useless pooh.

I'm glad you're in Maine until October too! Even if it's not field work, it's still in your field. Keep in mind there's a million billion jobs in BC for qualified wildlife biologists! Lots of bird jobs out here too. Check it out ;) *hinthint*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home